HOME » ABOUT US

History

The roots and development of pharmacy in Serbia

Apoteka Beograd -    Istorijat

The beginnings of Serbian medicine and pharmacy match the period in which the first medieval Serbian hospitals in Hilandar , Studenica and Decani were established, and the first written proof that there was a pharmacy in Belgrade dates from the 17th century and was recorded in the principal work of H. Schelenz(1904) "The history of pharmacy."

This written work states that as early as 1661, there was a pharmacy in Belgrade, but there are no more specific data available.

The opportunity to open the first pharmacy in Belgrade was given to Mr. Ph. Matej Ivanovic. Although he was the first graduate pharmacist who worked in Belgrade, and is considered the founder of Serbian modern pharmacy, little is known about him. The pharmacy that supplied drugs not only to the residents of Belgrade, but also to the whole of Serbia, and later to newly opened pharmacies, began working on the 30th of April 1830. It was located next to the restaurant “Question mark-?”, opposite the Belgrade’s Cathedral, in the former Dubrovacka street, now Kralja Petra I Street. At this place, Pharmaceutical Society of Serbia set a memorial plate in1955. Pharmacy repeatedly changed its name, owners and locations, and at the end of World War II had become a social property in the newly established Pharmacy companies of Belgrade.

Apoteka Beograd -  IstorijatHowever, the pharmacy was moved once more, in 1964 to the Knez Mihailova Street 27, where it is today. It was the only pharmacy in Serbia where the patient was able to get a correct and proper medication. It was a witness and bearer of historical and cultural events, but also a place where many important personalities of Serbian pharmacy had the honor and opportunity to gain experience. So it is today. After 180 years of its establishment, with its professional staff, highly professional service and care about the health of its citizens, it preserves the tradition and quality of Serbian national pharmacy in the best way.

The first state pharmacy in Serbia was opened in Kragujevac in 1836, by order of the State of the Soviets, and the founder was Mr. Ph. Pavle Ilic. The pharmacy was twice moved to Belgrade: first in 1839, where it remained for eight months, and the second time, in 1841, which was the final move. In its turbulent history, the pharmacy has changed owners and names: "Dvorska", "Vojna apoteka”," Drzavna apoteka"," Apoteka kod srpskog grba”, "Hilandar" to the current name - Pharmacy "Makedonija", which was given after the Second World War. The special significance of Pharmacy “Makedonija” is reflected in the fact that in the nineteenth century, in Serbia it was the first and only state-owned pharmacy that has rapidly become the central supplier for the whole of Serbia. The pharmacy had a very well equipped laboratory and performed the chemical analysis of all ex officio.

Two of our oldest pharmacies – “Matej Ivanovic" and "Makedonija"- the most important living monuments of Belgrade and Serbian pharmacy.

Founder of Pharmacy "Belgrade" was the Republic of Serbia, that is, the Ministry of Health of the Republic of Serbia, and from January 1st 2007, the founding rights moved on to the City Assembly, when it was renamed Pharmacy Institution “Belgrade”. The institution was first based in the premises of “Jugolek”, and in 1972 received a business premises in the primary healthcare unit "Vracar", where its headquarters are today.

Since its beginnings - unification of pharmacies by municipalities until now, has suffered many crises, and despite political and social changes, still went ahead achieving great business results, good cooperation with all health, education and research institutions, working with a devote to preserve and improve the health.

Today, Pharmacy "Belgrade" is open to new ventures, changes and improvements. The need for constant improvement, to always be one step ahead of others, with the sincere commitment of all employees to this cause, and constant improvement of professional staff and services in pharmacies, is the driving force of growth and development of the Pharmacy "Belgrade".